Back to School Updates
August 16, 2021
Greetings Caleb Families!
I know you are anxiously awaiting information about our return to school and the transition to new leadership. So here it is! This is a lot of information, but please bear with me to the end, there’s lots of good info here.
In this communication, I’ll be covering:
- Leadership Transition
- Back to School Basics (Including Schedules, Health & Safety Planning, Independent Study and More)
- Staffing Updates
- Communications Updates
- Upcoming Events
- My Farewell Message
This week, we welcome your interim principal, Ms. Charlotte Chadwick. I can think of no candidate more suitable for this position. A retired principal in Sac City, Ms. Chadwick served as my mentor when I was a new principal and my supervisor when I was clearing my admin credential. She is very familiar with Caleb and has even subbed for me on several occasions. For the first part of this week, Ms. Chadwick and I will collaboratively prepare for the start of school. By the end of this week, she’ll be your point person for all things Caleb while I begin working with my new team at the central office. I will, of course, continue to provide Ms. Chadwick and the Caleb staff with support from afar to the extent possible. You can reach Ms. Chadwick by calling the front office at 916-395-4515 or via email at Charloch@scusd.edu.
Regarding the permanent hire, please mark your calendars for this Tuesday, August 17, at 6pm for a Community Meeting. Board Member Leticia Garcia and Instructional Assistant Superintendent Mary Hardin Young will host this Zoom to share details about the selection process and timeline as well as to gather community feedback about the characteristics you’d like to see in your next principal. I suggest that you come prepared to share your priorities for a new leader over the next few years. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate.
- Meeting ID: 857 0441 8753
- Passcode: 718480
Back to School Basics!
YES! School is on… every kid, all day, every day… beginning Thursday, September 2 at 8:00am sharp!
As we return to full in-person learning, we’ve made a few schedule changes to allow for staggered recesses and lunches. While this is important for health and safety reasons, we discovered last spring that recess is more enjoyable for our kids when there are fewer of them in the yard at once. Along with adjustments to recesses and lunches, we are ending the primary day five minutes early to allow for a staggered dismissal. Despite these changes, instructional minutes have not changed, so we remain in full compliance with CA Ed Code. Click here for our 2021-22 Daily Schedule & Important Dates.
Health & Safety
For a complete description of Sac City’s Health & Safety measures, please visit Return to Health Plan (be sure to scroll down and read all the FAQs). In summary:
- Individuals 12 Years & Older: Vaccines are SAFE and protect both yourself and others. If you haven’t yet done so, sign up to get vaccinated here.
- As of now, the district is not reporting the vaccination status of children or adults, so no data is available on student, teacher, or staff vaccination status or numbers.
Universal Face Masking
- Masks are required for EVERYONE indoors, vaccinated or not, adults and kids.
- Masks must be worn in outdoor crowded areas, such as arriving and leaving school and when in lines.
- Masks may be removed outdoors when spacing is possible and when eating and drinking.
- We will have a Health Aide on site daily in our Care Room to conduct testing. Testing is voluntary and parent consent must be provided before a child can be tested. Learn more here or click to register your child for free, on-site, voluntary testing here.
Symptom Screening & Stay Home Sick
- Every child and family is expected to self screen at home daily and will be reminded to do so with signage at each entry point. Temperature screening will be expected at each entry point.
- If a person is sick or exhibits any symptoms of COVID-19, they may not come to school and will follow Illness and Symptoms Guidelines for Staff and Students.
- Staff and students will wash their hands or use hand sanitizer upon entering or exiting the classroom, eating, drinking, using the restroom. Etc.
- High touch areas will be disinfected regularly using district-approved cleaning products. Students will use their own supplies and materials to the extent possible.
- While distance criteria per CDPH are no longer required in schools, physical distancing will be practiced as much as possible when individuals are exempted from face coverings or in situations where masks are removed, such as mealtimes.
Arrival & Dismissal
Students will continue to enter through specified gates for temperature checks and health screening questions. Kinder and first grade parents may enter through the health screening process and walk their children to class, immediately departing at the first bell. At dismissal, students will be walked to specified exit gates to ensure proper distancing and safety at the close of the school day. Families in need of special arrangements for siblings should coordinate that directly with their children’s teachers.
Recesses & Lunch
Students are not required to wear masks during recess or PE as long as space allows for physical distance. Recesses and lunches will be staggered to reduce the number of students at lunch and on the yard. When weather allows, students will eat lunch outside, at the cafeteria tables, which will be labeled by class and with markers for physical distancing. Recess and lunch schedules can be found here. Just a reminder that BOTH breakfast and lunch are FREE for all students this year!
Class & Teacher Assignments
Class lists have been finalized and will be posted on the website on Tuesday, August 31 by 5pm.
Supply lists are available here.
Targeted Reading Time
This year, we are implementing school-wide, data-based Targeted Reading Time (TRT) blocks. Groupings and instruction will be driven by data gathered through assessments and teacher input, and will be fluid and flexible as student needs change throughout the year. TRT blocks will be uninterrupted and allow our teachers and support staff to provide targeted foundational skills instruction, grade level instruction and enrichment opportunities to children at every skill level, in varying group sizes depending on need. Parents! Please trust that our teachers know how to assess their students’ needs in a variety of ways, identify their needs and provide targeted instruction… they’re well trained and well prepared for this and it’s more important than ever as we work to address unfinished learning and accelerate progress post-distance learning.
Per state law, districts are required to resume in-person instruction and are no longer permitted to continue distance learning. For students who are not yet ready to return to full in-person instruction, Sac City is offering a long-term independent study program, consistent with the recently enacted Assembly Bill (AB) AB 130. As part of the independent study program, students will receive access to standards-aligned content and instruction, which may include independent assignments, reading, computer-based activities, and interactions with their teacher. While most work will be completed independently, academic support consistent with AB 130 will be available for students. Live instruction, also called synchronous instruction, will vary by student segment.
Your child’s space at Caleb Greenwood WILL be held for one return. If your child has to quarantine due to COVID-symptoms or exposure, site-based Short Term Independent Study will be available through your child’s teacher.
If you are interested in signing your student up for independent study, please complete the Independent Study Interest Form and refer to the Independent Study Frequently Asked Questions.
Staffing Updates: Front Office & Teaching Staff
Please join me in welcoming our new Office Manager, Ms. Jenci Smith. Ms. Smith joins Ms. Lanetta Johnson in the front office. They make a great team and should be your first stop for questions. You can reach them at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or by calling the front office at 916-395-4515.
In June, we bid Senora Miller, Ms. Noel and Miss Perez farewell. This fall, Maestra Nancy Barrera returns as our Spanish instructor and will be joined part-time by Ms. Leana Sanchez. Ms. Bond is joining the first grade team, Ms. Setzer the third grade team, and Mr. Prowell the fifth grade team. Ms. Amanda Casteel is joining us this year to round out our four-class third grade team.
Want to know what’s happening around campus and in the community?
- Bookmark our website and check it every week for new updates.
- Sign up for our Cougar Email Blast.
- Like our Caleb Greenwood accounts on Facebook and Instagram.
- join our Caleb Greenwood Parents’ page on Facebook.
- Look out for our Sunday Night Calls and Email Blasts.
- Expect weekly email updates from your child’s teacher.
- Don’t expect a school-wide Wednesday Folder! That’s right, we’re moving to ALL digital communication for school-wide and PTSO information, so those emails from the school and your child’s teacher are more important than ever.
Kinder Orientation: Wednesday, August 18, 6pm
Parents of incoming kindergartners are invited to join the kinder teacher team and Principal Hanson for an orientation about what to expect as your child’s Caleb Greenwood journey begins this fall.
- Meeting ID: 882 1172 1583
- Passcode: Kinder!
Track Work Day: Sunday, August 22, 9am-12pm
While most of the Caleb campus has weathered the pandemic just fine, the track is in rough shape and needs our help! Weeds and other invasive plants have taken over much of the surface and it’s time to take action before the school year begins. Friday Morning Run, STRIDE, Jog-a-Thon, The Caleb Track and XC Teams, and the students at recess and PE depend on the track to be in usable condition and with your help, we can make that happen.
Please join us on Sunday, Aug 22 from 9-12 for a Track Work Day. If you’ve got gardening gloves, knee pads, weed pullers, rakes, trowels and weed wackers, please bring them. Ice water will be provided but please bring your own bottle. All are welcome. Enter at the back gate near Callister and Betty Way.
Kinder Family Meet & Greet @ Glenn Hall Park: Wednesday, August 25, 5-6:30pm
Join Caleb kinder families and teachers for introductions, play and ice cream at Glenn Hall Park. Come prepared to meet your teacher and classmates and purchase ice cream for your family from The Meltdown Truck.
First Grade Family Ice Cream Social @ Glenn Hall Park: Thursday, August 26, 5-6:30pm
Join Caleb first grade families to get reacquainted, play and enjoy ice cream treats at Glenn Hall Park. Please come prepared to purchase ice cream for your family from The Meltdown Truck.
Back to School Night: Wednesday, September 15 @ 6pm
Teachers will hold class-based Back To School Night via Zoom. We will hold off on a school-wide information session until your new principal arrives.
Now that you’ve managed to make it to the end of this extremely long document, I want to share my gratitude for having had the opportunity to serve, learn, and grow with this community. At Caleb and thanks to all of you, I learned more about myself, my profession and my commitment to children and their education than I ever would have imagined. I depart this sweet corner of our district knowing that you are in very good hands with our staff and each other. Your next principal will have the honor of joining an incredible community of children and adults who are committed to making this world a better, more peaceful place for all.
Keep at it, Cougars, you’ve got this.